Thursday, October 2, 2008

What Inspires Me When Creating Something


Although I am not on the the design side of fashion, I do have my preferences. My style is very classic and I like to be able to wear something that makes me feel better about myself by the way it fits the curves of my body. I have always been a fan of something simple but with a pop of color. I also love dresses so when thinking about something I would like to wear I thought of a dress that could be dressed down for the day and dressed up for night yet is loose and comfortable. These factors play a huge role in the way I dress.
Here in my design I have drawn, not very well because once again I am on the merchandising side of fashion but the dress is simple, with that pop of color. I think the color under the bust helps to break up the body and the low V-neck helps define the bust. I also love the crossed straps in the back because it is fun and flirty this also accentuates the back and the shoulders. During the day I could see someone running errands in this with a pair of flats and a sweater. At night I could see someone wearing heels and going to a nice dinner. Versatility is very important in clothes.
Most of my inspiration comes from my own personal style as well as more of the classic yet modern looks. Oscar de la Renta is one of my favorite designers because he does this throughout his clothes. I also chose red because red will never die. I think red looks good on everyone and can be worn any time of the year. As well as black is a very classic color which goes with everything.

6 comments:

allisn ! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
allisn ! said...

I love the idea of your dress and its simplicity; i also appreciate that it had a classic color, but a more hip silhouette with the straps on the dress. I think the fact that you chose black also works together with the whole look you are trying to go for and think maybe some embellishments on the straps would be a nice touch! Altogether, i like this dress and would totally wear it out to a date on a Friday night!

October 3, 2008 10:54 AM

aneesa said...

I think your design is really good considering you are not a designer. I do agree with you, sometimes more is less, and you can never go wrong with a classic look! And being comfortable is extremely important. I'm glad you used your own style as inspiration because it will make your designs more practical because you wouldn't make anything for somebody else if you didn't like it yourself. Good luck!

albarrow said...

this dress is amazing! I would totally wear this dress. The colors are great and I love the V neck dress to show off the chest a little bit and the back is stunning as well. The chris-cross back is always a classy look that i love as well

Catherine Langley said...

I agree that this dress is the essence of versatile, it could almost be worn anywhere. I really appreciate that it is so simple and cute, sometimes were are bombarded with all these couture intricate clothes from high fashion designers, its nice to see something like this, something so wearable. I like the ribbon of color in the middle of the dress and the back is great, I've always been a fan of the criss-cross back. I would certainly wear this dress. Great job!

Professor Sanghvi said...

I think i would simply be reiterating what everyone has already been commenting on this post. I LOVED the dress. Its simple, classic and versatile. And the color choices ensure it will always stay in style.